Chesterfield Mayor Bruce Geiger recently told KDSK he is worried about the competing efforts to construct two new outlet malls in the area.
The two developments, Taubman Prestige Outlets and St. Louis Premium Outlets, are planned to open next fall and would be only about five miles apart. Together, they would add more than 600,000 square feet of retail space.
Geiger said he is glad to see the interest in opening new businesses but added that it might be more than the region's consumers are capable of supporting.
The report was also picked up by the St. Louis Business Journal and contrasts statements from the two companies, which have both said they expect their respective commercial ventures to do well.
The mayor's statement is just the latest part of the continuing efforts to bring new commercial development to the Chesterfield Valley. Check out some of Chesterfield Patch's previous coverage for more information:
- Prestige Mall Outlet to Open Ahead of Schedule
- Building Moratoriums: When Should Developers Slow Down?
- Prestige Outlets Developer Wins 'Race' to Build in Chesterfield Valley
- 'Premium Outlets' Breaks Ground In Chesterfield Valley
- Outlet Mall Competition Carries Over Into Trade Show