Chesterfield stayed busy all through 2012 with dozens of new business opening their doors and a few others closing them for the last time.
According to the city's economic development department, 173 new business licenses were issued in 2012 and more than 1,500 permits covering building, signs, occupancy and special activity were reviewed by city planners.
The biggest business news of the year was the continuing drama revolving around Chesterfield's dueling outlet malls. Both developments broke ground over the summer and are now locked in a race to finish construction. Taubman Prestige Outlets has said it will open Aug. 2 while St. Louis Premium Outlets is aming for an Aug. 22 opening.
The year brought several new places for residents to grab some grub, including Korean taco joint Kim Cheese, Mexican restaurant Fiesta and sports bar Buffalo Wild Wings. While not strictly new, the popular not too far from its original home.
Other business that opened in 2012 included retailers Ross Dress-For-Less and Nordstrom Rack, electronics store hhgregg, martial arts studio Team Z Martial Arts, the Mizzou Store, Five Below and an American Girl store.
What about the businesses that are no longer with us? The Big Lots in Chesterfield is in the process of closing due to the chain's poor performance nationally and the Baker's Shoes in Chesterfield Mall fell victim to much the same thing. The new Buffalo Wild Wings replaced an O'Charleys that closed in the spring for financial reasons.
The year's other big business news include:
- The hiring of a new executive director for the Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce only to see him resign six months later. The chamber again hired a new director in October.
- The Chick-Fil-A in Chesterfield was mobbed with support following a company executive's controversial stand on gay marriage.
- RGA's plans in Chesterfield.
Several business also announced plans for 2013, here's what's on the way:
- Consignment Store to Take the Place Of Suburban Leisure Center
- First State Bank Expanding to Chesterfield
- Balaban's Adding Space for Private Events and Wine Tastings
- Construction of New Hyatt Hotel Underway