.

Fire in Chesterfield Home Torches Bathroom

A woman was taking a shower in her home Wednesday in the 2100 block of Silverwood Lane when her fire alarm went off, triggered by a flames in a hallway bathroom.

A fire broke out in a Chesterfield house Wednesday afternoon, damaging a bathroom and causing some smoke damage to the rest of the residence. 

The Monarch Fire Protection District responded to the fire at around 1 p.m. after receiving a call from an alarm company and a resident of the home located in the 2100 block of Silverwood Lane. 

Connie Sanfilippo lives next door and said the resident who called in the fire is her sister-in-law. The woman was taking a shower in a different bathroom than where the fire started when she heard the smoke alarm go off. 

"She came out and she smelled some smoke so she come running to my house basically with no shoes on," Sanfilippo said. "I called 911 and I tried to go in the house myself but there was black smoke so bad that I couldn't get in there."

That black smoke likely came from a burning shower curtain. Monarch Fire Marshal Roger Herin said the blaze was contained to a hallway bathroom and it's possible that it started in a ceiling fan and then ignited a shower curtain.

When firefighters arrived, they used a hose to quickly put out the flames. The bathroom was heavily damaged, Herin said, but the rest of the house received only minor smoke damage.

No one was injured during the incident, but Sanfilippo said it was still a frightening experience for her sister-in-law, who was shaking visibly after running next door to get help. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something