A fire ignited by a commercial dryer in the basement laundry room of an administration building at was somewhat contained by a sprinkler system Sunday night.
Initially, a college employee used a fire extinguisher on the blaze, but was unsuccessful in stemming it, officials said.
Chesterfield's Monarch Fire Protection District Fire Marshal Roger Herin said the fire was ultimately supressed by firefighters who arrived sometime after 10 p.m. on Sunday.
There was a lot of smoke damage, and the fire had spread up to the ceiling, Herin said. Water from the sprinkers flooded the hallway outside the laundry room.
"The water damage was minimal, compared to what the fire damage would have been had there not been a fire sprinkler system," Herin said afterward, in a press statement.
"This is a case were everything worked as it should. The fire alarm sounded, notifying the occupants and fire department of the fire; the occupants attempted to fight the fire, and when unsuccessful, abandoned the fight; the sprinkler system activated, keeping the fire in check; and the fire department finished it off," Herin said.
No injuries reported.