.

Missouri Tax Cut Failure: Who Do You Blame?

Would you have supported the tax cuts? Do you think Nixon's more to blame for vetoing them in the first place, or the GOP lawmakers who broke ranks and didn't vote to override the veto?

Gov. Jay Nixon in St. Charles last year. File photo.
Gov. Jay Nixon in St. Charles last year. File photo.
In what should have been a veto-proof Missouri Legislature, Gov. Jay Nixon's veto of tax-cut measures in the state held last week — to the surprise of Republican leadership.

The story even made it to the New York Times on Wednesday, as lawmakers failed to override Nixon's veto of measures that would have reduced the top personal income tax rate by one-half of a percentage point, to 5.5 percent. The corporate tax rate would have been reduced by 3 percentage points, to 3.25 percent. In both cases, the reductions would have been phased in over 10 years.

Nixon, a Democrat, had vetoed the reductions, returning the bills to the General Assembly, where Republicans hold a historic super-majority in both chambers. Still, when 15 members of the GOP broke ranks, the veto held.

"It’s a defining moment," the Times quoted Nixon saying at a news conference. "Today was about protecting our economy, our communities and, especially, our schools from this costly and misguided bill."

Conservatives inside and outside the legislative chambers basically went nuts, vowing to do everything they could to defeat the 15 who declined to override the veto, according to a report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"We’re going to have to do a better job of recruiting and funding candidates in the future," House Speaker Tim Jones told the Post.

Would you have supported the tax cuts? Do you think Nixon's more to blame for vetoing them in the first place, or the GOP lawmakers who broke ranks and didn't vote to override the veto? Should the tax cut plan have failed? Click the links to read more and add your comments below.
Troy Everett September 15, 2013 at 09:25 AM
As the leader of the Missouri House Mr. Tim Jones is most responsible. His ties to the rich people financing this, the inevitable future property tax and personal property tax increase to make up for lost revenue to the schools and sales tax increase. I believe this was a drive By Mr. Jones to make a name for him as big tax cutter for the future elections. This was only a tax bill for the rich
alexis September 15, 2013 at 09:33 AM
I was not in support of the tax cut in the first place. The fees for everything are going up (ie tags). This "tax cut" would have averaged $6.00 for those not in the upper income brackets in Missouri and then there was break for only a certain type of corporation. My "representative" was bought and paid for and voted to override the veto. No votes for him in the household. We know who he serves. As for Mr. Jones, I agree in with the above comment.
flyoverland September 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Property taxes are too high now.
Chris Weber September 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I thought that the Surpluses were to be refunded as per the Hancock Amendment years ago. I also agree that only the higher income persons and entities would see any real benefits from this. In reality, any surpluses should be placed into a rainy day fund for emergencies such as snow removal for Extreme Storms (not the normal winter storms) and other major disasters.
Donna Gail September 15, 2013 at 09:28 PM
I applaud those who did not want the tax cut for the rich. Now, who do I "blame" for the slanted headline on an article under the heading News/Government? It's News, not Opinion.
Jim Wells September 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Don't blame anybody...it's not really that big of a deal
Dennis Hyman September 16, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Who to blame for it's failure? Blame common sense!!!! State Reps on both sides realized that if this bill was passed, the odds of them being re-elected was NONE. HB253 was intended to rob the poor, and give to the rich. It would've crippled the public school system, and raised taxes on prescription drugs. Oh, and who has been pushing for the elimination of public schools in favor of FOR PROFIT charter schools.....that's right, people, your beloved TEA PARTY REPUBLICANS!!!! Kick them out the next election!!!! They represent only the 1%, not the other 99%!!!
Sonny Pondrom September 19, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Amen!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something