Missouri Sen. Brian Nieves, R-Washington, was appointed by his colleagues on Thursday to serve as Majority Caucus Whip for the 97th General Assembly, which will begin Jan. 9.
“I am thrilled and honored to be appointed by my fellow lawmakers to serve as Majority Caucus Whip, and will do everything in my power to work toward a productive and successful legislative session for our great state of Missouri,” Nieves said in a Thursday afternoon news statement.
Among other panels in the Missouri Senate, Nieves serves as vice-chair of the Senate Education Committee, as well as vice-chair of the Senate General Laws Committee. Before he was elected to the Senate, he served the 98th House District as a Missouri State Representative for eight years from 2002-2010. During his time in the Missouri House, he served as the House Majority Whip.
Other Missouri Senate positions filled Thursday include:
- Senator Tom Dempsey, R-St. Charles, to serve as President Pro Tem.
- Senator Ron Richard, R-Joplin, to serve as Majority Floor Leader.
- Senator Mike Kehoe, R-Jefferson City, to serve as Assistant Majority Floor Leader.
- Senator Eric Schmitt, R-Glendale, to serve as Majority Caucus Chairman.
- Senator Jay Wasson, R-Nixa, to serve as Majority Caucus Secretary.